Purpose of funding
The government provides this funding to schools for a specific purpose. Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but have the freedom to decide how to best develop this area for now and the future.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
At Acomb first school we provide physical activity during the school day and plan to introduce further physical activity as extra-curricular opportunities. PE develops a pupil’s physical competence and confidence enabling them to perform a wide range of activities. We also aim for PE to develop a pupil’s health and fitness leading to an enjoyable and enduring healthy lifestyle.
Our vision is to raise the aspirations of all pupils regardless of athletic talent, physical / mental ability encouraging proficiency in motor skills to perform a variety of physical activities in order to pursue a healthy and active lifestyle now and in the future.
The school currently provides at least 2 hours of PE.
Children visit Wentworth Leisure Centre where they take part in swimming. PE is taught in school; we have indoor and outdoor facilities including an appropriately equipped modern school hall, a large school field and a well surfaced playground to ensure PE takes place whatever the weather.
Successful and enjoyable PE has several benefits and impacts across the curriculum and upon a child’s attitudes and behaviours.
Our PE Curriculum
Our PE curriculum includes a wide range of activities which aims to inspire and include all pupils.
Our school takes part in festivals and competitions including the Northumberland School games and partnership Top Link festival. We also provide the opportunity for some children to take part in the Swimathon charity event.